From: Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6 upgrade howto
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:01:11
1 On Tuesday 07 December 2004 16:17, Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte wrote:
2 > On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:58:22 +0100, Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Monday 06 December 2004 20:25, Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:57:15 +0100, Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > > > On Monday 06 December 2004 19:23, Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte wrote:
6 > > > > > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:47:43 +0100, Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org>
7 > > > > > wrote:
8
9 > > What is your opinion on the udev vs ... choice ?
10 >
11 > Personnally udev is the way to go, most of the troubles of the early
12 > days are gone if not all. Never had any troubles with and as a bonus
13 > you can reserve some blocks to some device like if you like your usb
14 > key to always be /dev/sda. It's pretty flexible, useful, it's not
15 > deprecated and it's maintained.
16
17 Thanks for explaining that. Thanks Neil, too. It was always awkward, the
18 shifting devicenames under 2.4. So this solves that. Great!
19
20 > All I can say is that I understand you better than you could know
21 > (damn I hate redhat ... oops sorry OT ... must control rage ...)
22
23 That was suse actually, a distro which I really like(d?) but one has got to
24 move on. The thing with suse and redhat is, once you _need_ to compile
25 something because there is no binary for it, then the trouble really starts.
26 Good luck getting a promisc-cabable driver for a wifi card into suse without
27 hours and hours trial and error. Well, sometimes you're lucky.
28
29 > > Hey, I already like this list, feels right at home :-))
30
31 I'm almost ready to reboot to 2.6.9 but a little (but potential showstopper-)
32 problem showed up. I have two wired NICs, both of them 3Com575TX. (not a
33 typo, it is a different card than the 3C574 or 3C589 cards) (Cardbus, 100TX)
34 I know that I need(ed) the 3c575_cb module for it under 2.4. The thing is,
35 that came with pcmcia-cs, not with the kernel. This new kernel has the pcmcia
36 built-in but it seems this driver was deprecated; it just isn't there.
37 Now chances are it is merged into something else, but not knowing gives me the
38 creeps. No network -> no nothing. No emerge that is. No emerge no fixing.
39 And I have no other brand laying around (except for wireless but that's not
40 proven to work yet)
41 Anyone know what happened to this infamous 3C575 driver ?
42 A grep for 575 in Documentation/* (including Changes) yields nothing at all.
43 The same in .config by the way.
44
45 The card is great otherwise, never any problems with it
46
47 Maarten
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list