From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should I install pulseaudio to solve my phonon audio problems?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 04:40:59
1 On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Michael Trausch <mike@×××××××.us> wrote:
2 > PA works well with stereo-only outputs. That's most users.
3 >
4 > People such as myself, however, with 5.1 out, are perpetually disappointed
5 > and/or frustrated by the lack of the systems ability to work reliably. I
6 > constantly have problems playing music, because it reverts to stereo output
7 > every time it is opened. It happens in all distributions that have PA, so it
8 > isn't a bug in packaging or configuration, unless all distress and upstream
9 > itself get it all wrong.
10
11 Mmmh. Have you tried "pactl list" and checking the "Active Profile:"
12 in the card you are using? Then you can change it with (in my case):
13
14 pactl set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_04_00.0
15 output:analog-surround-51+input:analog-stereo
16
17 Of course, if you are using GNOME, you can set it in System Settings
18 (see screenshot
19 https://plus.google.com/photos/115256116066287398549/albums/5778609034682831121).
20 Yes, I have two sound cards, and I still prefer my old SB Live!
21 exactly because it has 5.1 output. It have never "reverted" to stereo
22 for me. I got a 5.1 Logitech speakers, with one subwoofer and 5
23 satellites.
24
25 Regards.
26 --