From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT - Need help with mythfronted GUI (WAS[Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT - Need MythTV setup help (resend)])
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:23:47
1 On 1/8/06, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > After I ran mythfilldatabase for the umpteenth time I got a channel
5 > listing in the Channel Editor.
6
7 Yes. Benn there and done that. Sometimes their serve just doesn't
8 respond and MYth doesn't pick it up. This should run on your back end
9 server once a day. Sometime I have only 13/12/11 days worth of data
10 into the future but eventually it picks up new listings correctly and
11 your off to the races.
12
13 I'm glad you've made headway.
14
15 > Next, I want to get mythfrontend working
16 > on my wife's computer. It will need to use the database and mythbackend
17 > on my computer remotely. Is there anything special I need to know to
18 > make this work? I've already set up the IP address in mythsetup on my
19 > machine to my PC's network address...
20
21 The issue here is to get mysql to allow your wife's machine to have
22 access. I am WOEFULLY inadequate and uneducated in this area. I
23 promise that I am giving you incomplete or inaccurate info. (Honestly
24 and openly though...) IIRC you need to do at least three things:
25
26 1) Set up mysql on the server to bind to the network. From /etc/mysql/my.cnf
27
28 # keep secure by default!
29 bind-address = 192.168.1.55
30 port = 3306
31 # this can make it even more secure:
32
33 .55 is our backend address. Substitute your backend's IP and restart
34 mysql. (NOTE - don't run that machine with DHCP...)
35
36 2) Change the settings in mythsetup to use your IP address instead of
37 localhost. Do not change other settings.
38
39 3) You then have to run some mysql commands shown on the web to give
40 remote devices access to the database. IIRC I used the strategy where
41 you make eveything on the local net able to access the server. I
42 thought it was in the Gentoo wiki but I'm not seeing it right now:
43
44 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_MythTV
45
46 Go to the MySQL section 9.2. It should have been there, I thought.
47 (Incorrectly) It's probably in Jarod's Fedora setup guide for MythTV.
48 The deal here is that the standard setup for MySQL is overly secure
49 for a MythTV type setup and you need to open it up.
50
51 I hope this info is at least moderately helpful. I admit I'm a putz. I
52 did get it working, but it was nearly a year ago I think.
53
54 - Mark
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list