From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AT&T DSL + Westell modem/router = Gentoo woes
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 22:40:56
1 On Friday 23 April 2010 21:22:53 Grant wrote:
2 > >> I recently switched from cable to DSL on a Gentoo router and I'm
3 > >> having trouble keeping a stable connection. Periodically I need to
4 > >> run '/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart' before it will connect to the
5 > >> Westell modem (which is also a router although AT&T won't admit it).
6 > >> The weird thing is that rebooting the system doesn't reacquire the
7 > >> connection. I have to actually issue '/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart'.
8 > >> Does anyone know why rebooting doesn't reacquire the connection and
9 > >> restarting the interface does?
10 > >>
11 > >> - Grant
12 > >
13 > > I just use the modem to login and then enable ip pass thru to my router
14 > > which is a linksys running DD-WRT;
15 > > http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7073
16 > >
17 > > This set-up has worked well for a few years without me having to do
18 > > anything.
19 >
20 > Could I get you to tell me a couple of your settings? You're doing
21 > something right if you haven't had to touch your's after setting it
22 > up.
23 >
24 > I'm trying to figure out the right connection type (or something like
25 > that) for which the options are something like Smart KeepAlive, Always
26 > Reconnect, and Connect On Demand.
27 >
28 > The other one is the IP lease timeout. It defaults to 10 minutes and
29 > I just set it to 99 days, but I don't want it to expire even after 99
30 > days. I have a static IP but I think this is the timeout between the
31 > modem/router and the Gentoo router.
32
33 I am not familiar with the modem in question, but if you are using your own
34 router the modem should be set up in fully bridged mode and the PPPoE
35 authentication will be managed by your Gentoo router.
36
37 Your Gentoo router will also use dhcpcd (or similar) to obtain an IP address
38 from your ISP after it authenticates on their RADIUS server.
39
40 In a nut-shell: You want to set up your modem to not do NAT, or dhcp, or
41 authentication at all, but transparently encapsulate your PPP into ATM packets
42 and send them off to your local DSLAM. All the communication with your ISP
43 will be managed by the router and your router will have the static IP address
44 given to you by your ISP. The modem will only have a LAN address which you
45 will need to set up manually on it, using its control panel.
46
47 PS. I think that the modem connection type you refer to above should be Smart
48 KeepAlive - although as I said I'm not familiar with the particular hardware.
49
50 HTH.
51 --
52 Regards,