From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AT&T DSL + Westell modem/router = Gentoo woes
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 02:05:23
1 >> >> I recently switched from cable to DSL on a Gentoo router and I'm
2 >> >> having trouble keeping a stable connection.  Periodically I need to
3 >> >> run '/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart' before it will connect to the
4 >> >> Westell modem (which is also a router although AT&T won't admit it).
5 >> >> The weird thing is that rebooting the system doesn't reacquire the
6 >> >> connection.  I have to actually issue '/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart'.
7 >> >> Does anyone know why rebooting doesn't reacquire the connection and
8 >> >> restarting the interface does?
9 >> >>
10 >> >> - Grant
11 >> >
12 >> > I just use the modem to login and then enable ip  pass thru to my router
13 >> > which is a linksys running DD-WRT;
14 >> > http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7073
15 >> >
16 >> > This set-up has worked well for a few years without me having to do
17 >> > anything.
18 >>
19 >> Could I get you to tell me a couple of your settings?  You're doing
20 >> something right if you haven't had to touch your's after setting it
21 >> up.
22 >>
23 >> I'm trying to figure out the right connection type (or something like
24 >> that) for which the options are something like Smart KeepAlive, Always
25 >> Reconnect, and Connect On Demand.
26 >>
27 >> The other one is the IP lease timeout.  It defaults to 10 minutes and
28 >> I just set it to 99 days, but I don't want it to expire even after 99
29 >> days.  I have a static IP but I think this is the timeout between the
30 >> modem/router and the Gentoo router.
31 >
32 > I am not familiar with the modem in question, but if you are using your own
33 > router the modem should be set up in fully bridged mode and the PPPoE
34 > authentication will be managed by your Gentoo router.
35 >
36 > Your Gentoo router will also use dhcpcd (or similar) to obtain an IP address
37 > from your ISP after it authenticates on their RADIUS server.
38 >
39 > In a nut-shell:  You want to set up your modem to not do NAT, or dhcp, or
40 > authentication at all, but transparently encapsulate your PPP into ATM packets
41 > and send them off to your local DSLAM.  All the communication with your ISP
42 > will be managed by the router and your router will have the static IP address
43 > given to you by your ISP.  The modem will only have a LAN address which you
44 > will need to set up manually on it, using its control panel.
45 >
46 > PS.  I think that the modem connection type you refer to above should be Smart
47 > KeepAlive - although as I said I'm not familiar with the particular hardware.
48 >
49 > HTH.
50 > --
51 > Regards,
52 > Mick
53
54 Thanks Mick. The Westell does have an option to take PPPoE off of the
55 device and I'd like to set that up soon.
56
57 - Grant