From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AT&T DSL + Westell modem/router = Gentoo woes
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 21:52:22
1 On Tuesday 27 April 2010 03:02:54 Grant wrote:
2
3 > > I am not familiar with the modem in question, but if you are using your
4 > > own router the modem should be set up in fully bridged mode and the PPPoE
5 > > authentication will be managed by your Gentoo router.
6
7 > Thanks Mick. The Westell does have an option to take PPPoE off of the
8 > device and I'd like to set that up soon.
9
10 Right, without the PPPoE disabled the modem operates in a half-bridged mode
11 (essentially it is a router running dhcp and 1:1 NAT). I would disable NAT,
12 dhcp and PPPoE on the modem so that it is in fully-bridged mode and then see
13 if the problem is resolved. Your symptoms are typical of a half-bridged router
14 and a dynamic IP address from the ISP. Usually, the client on the LAN does
15 not know when the ISP's WAN side IP address has changed and will not pick up
16 the new address until the dhcp lease on the client has expired. To overcome
17 this botched implementation the half-bridged modem has a short lease. This
18 doesn't always work, as I suspect is the case here.
19
20 HTH.
21 --
22 Regards,