From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AT&T DSL + Westell modem/router = Gentoo woes
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:05:32
1 >> > I am not familiar with the modem in question, but if you are using your
2 >> > own router the modem should be set up in fully bridged mode and the PPPoE
3 >> > authentication will be managed by your Gentoo router.
4 >
5 >> Thanks Mick.  The Westell does have an option to take PPPoE off of the
6 >> device and I'd like to set that up soon.
7 >
8 > Right, without the PPPoE disabled the modem operates in a half-bridged mode
9 > (essentially it is a router running dhcp and 1:1 NAT).  I would disable NAT,
10 > dhcp and PPPoE on the modem so that it is in fully-bridged mode and then see
11 > if the problem is resolved. Your symptoms are typical of a half-bridged router
12 > and a dynamic IP address from the ISP.  Usually, the client on the LAN does
13 > not know when the ISP's WAN side IP address has changed and will not pick up
14 > the new address until the dhcp lease on the client has expired.  To overcome
15 > this botched implementation the half-bridged modem has a short lease. This
16 > doesn't always work, as I suspect is the case here.
17 >
18 > HTH.
19 > --
20 > Regards,
21 > Mick
22
23 Thank you Mick, I'm going to set that up ASAP.
24
25 - Grant