From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How packages are made stable
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:40:10
1 Robert Cernansky wrote:
2 > On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:49:48 -0700 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
5 >>> Looking at the Portage tree, I see that some packages are kept ~x86
6 >>> for long time without any bugs referenced in the changelog or
7 >>> Bugzilla. How are they being made stable (or where in the docs is the
8 >>> process described)?
9 >> They need to be in the tree for at least 30 days, no bugs, and if
10 >> someone files a stable request ebuild, then an arch tester will test it,
11 >> and then a dev will keyword it stable.
12 >>
13 >> Most stuff doesnt get marked stable mostly because there aren't any
14 >> stable requests.
15 >
16 > Stabilisation bug it not a requirement. Package should go to stable
17 > after 30 days + no bugs even without stabilization bug.
18
19 No, it's not a requirement. It's a notice telling the developers that hey,
20 someone wants it marked stable. Plus, if a user / arch tester does the legwork
21 already of checking to make sure the dependencies are good to go, then we
22 appreciate the work and it creates less of a load for us.
23
24 > I have an
25 > impresion that developers are _waiting_ for stabilization bugs which
26 > is wrong.
27
28 That's not true. But there's certainly enough work to go around that they can
29 get neglected.
30
31 > I've raised a similar question few months ago. It's pretty long
32 > discussion on -user and -dev:
33 >
34 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/166565/
35 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/40719/
36
37 Good discussions, and my opinion is still the same -- that most packages are
38 assigned to herds, or unassigned to nobody, are minor things, and nobody is
39 directly looking after them. As a result they just plain get ignored.
40
41 In summary, no a stable bug is not needed, but if its a small less popular
42 package, it probably won't hit on anyones radar any other way.
43
44 Plus, I'm working on integrating some similar checks found in
45 http://gentoo.tamperd.net/stable/ into the GPNL website (
46 http://spaceparanoids.org/gentoo/gpnl/ ), so that we can again easily see how
47 long packges have been neglected.
48