From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about permission setting for /var/tmp/portage/../work
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:20:03
1 Hi,
2 On (03/09/07 16:13) William Xu wrote:
3 > Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org> writes:
4 >
5 > > May be because this directory is meant to be used by portage only.
6 >
7 > Since it's just a tmp dir, only allowing portage user to read seems too
8 > strict.
9 >
10 May be 'yes' but it's kind of security measure - so while compiling if
11 anything breaks you'll get an user shell not a root one (just guessing).
12 BTW anybody knows if gpg-signing of sources/eclasses is getting ready ?
13 > > IMHO that is so because of FEATURES="... userpriv ..." (please check
14 > > the syntax). Same must be valid for /usr/portage/distfiles (FAETURES=
15 > > " ... parallel-fetch userpriv usersandbox...")
16 >
17 > Do you mean that I should add `userpriv' etc to FEATURES flag? My
18 > present setting is:
19 >
20 > ,----
21 > | FEATURES="cvs parallel-fetch ccache keepwork"
22 > `----
23 >
24 IIRC 'userpriv' uses portage uid to actually compile things, and root
25 only during final merge. But please check again (paludis user ;-)
26 > > Why you need user access to this work-dir.
27 >
28 > Yes, it's a big weird that debugging emacs requires me running the
29 > executable.
30 >
31 > ,----[ /usr/share/emacs/23.0.0/etc/DEBUG ]
32 > | ** When you debug Emacs with GDB, you should start it in the directory
33 > | where the executable was made. That directory has a .gdbinit file
34 > | that defines various "user-defined" commands for debugging Emacs.
35 > | (These commands are described below under "Examining Lisp object
36 > | values" and "Debugging Emacs Redisplay problems".)
37 > `----
38 >
39 Could do the compilation in src|work directory in your HOME dir.
40 Or use step-by-step install:
41 ebuild /path/to/ebuild unpack|compile|install|qmerge|clean
42 check 'man ebuild' etc.
43 > --
44 > William
45 >