From: Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fire the fox.
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:09:47
1 On 09/22/10 07:31, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday 20 September 2010 16:38:05 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >
4 >> I haven't had any crashing or failing to start, but Firefox in Linux
5 >> has always been pretty bad in general for me. Slow UI, unusable in NX
6 >> (constant screen redraws; Thunderbird does the same thing), network
7 >> stalling for MINUTES at a time, slow to load, etc. Other browsers on
8 >> the same machine don't suffer any of these problems. I don't use
9 >> Firefox as my primary browser because it is so flaky.
10 >
11 > That's odd, because on this newish i5 box, which is suffering really
12 > severe responsiveness problems otherwise, FF responds to my commands
13 > smartly.
16 Firefox for windows is compiled with PGO via ICC which apparently improves performance quite a bit.
17 I believe there are issues when firefox is compiled with GCC via PGO and in any case, there is no
18 support for PGO building of Firefox @ gentoo afaik. I wish I had the time and knowledge to whip up
19 an ebuild that could do the magic to test it out tho.
20
21 Any takers ? :P
24 Kind Regards,
25 Beau Henderson