From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:17:02
1 On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Joshua D Doll <joshua.doll@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Joshua D Doll <joshua.doll@×××××.com>
8 >>> wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>> I think the Handbook and other Official gentoo docs are well and
13 >>>> written. I
14 >>>> feel they are so well written and informative that a new user could read
15 >>>> and
16 >>>> follow what the doc is trying to convey.
17 >>>>
18 >>>>
19 >>>> --Joshua Doll
20 >>>>
21 >>>
22 >>> I agree. Everything except the grub part. It's well written but it
23 >>> requires more knowledge about the actual hardware than the rest of it,
24 >>> especially if you do it wrong and have to recover.
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >> I helped my brother install Ubuntu and the lack of control over grub
28 >> was frustrating. It just did what it wanted to do without asking
29 >> (which was install grub onto the wrong drive with the wrong drive
30 >> numbers, because the BIOS boot order did not match Ubuntu's detected
31 >> drive order). If that drive had been part of a RAID or had some
32 >> important metadata in the boot sector, it could have been a disaster.
33 >>
34 >> No distro is perfect. Gentoo is perfect for me, though :)
39 > I think you mean to say no boot loader is perfect. ;-)
40 >
41 > --Joshua Doll
45 The ubuntu installer did not tell me which drive it was installing the
46 boot loader onto, nor did it give me a choice -- it chose the one it
47 thought was appropriate (and it was wrong).
48
49 If you google for ubuntu grub sata ide you can see it happens to
50 nearly everyone who has a mixture of IDE and SATA drives where they
51 boot from IDE but linux gives sda to sata and sdc to IDE or whatever.