From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: neil@××××××××××.uk
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pmount question
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:04:04
1 On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:37:06 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 21:01:25 -0500, David Relson wrote:
5 >
6 > > > pmount is supposed to be run as a user and it mounts the
7 > > > filesystem owned by the user running it. If you only have a
8 > > > single user, you could call pmount with su. If you have multiple
9 > > > users, you should be letting a desktop tool handle the mounting
10 > > > anyway.
11 >
12 > > I've heard "pmount ... as a user" before, but never understood what
13 > > it meant. If "pmount ..." is run by a rule
14 > > in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules, how is it known what userid to
15 > > use? Does "pmount ... as a user" assume particular settings in
16 > > gnome, the kernel, or ???
17 >
18 > pmount is meant to be run by a normal user, usually from an
19 > automounter, as its main objective is to allow normal users to mount
20 > removable devices without fstab rules, while udev rules are run as
21 > root. So if you want it to run as a user from a udev rule you'll have
22 > to use su, as in
23 >
24 > su youruser -c 'pmount /dev/PTY'
25
26 Neil:
27
28 I'm currently using "pmount -u 007 /dev/PTY" as this gives rwx
29 permissions for root and group plugdev, which is adequate for my
30 workstation (which only ever has me using it).
31
32 I've seen that Ubuntu with Gnome automounts USB sticks. That seems
33 pleasantly convenient and is done without any rules (such as I
34 presently have) in /etc/udev/rules.d. Do you know what they're doing?
35
36 Regards,
37
38 David