From: Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 19:57:38
1 On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
4 > Of course, the amount of time I've spent on this thread, I could perhaps
5 > have learned *exactly* what all these extended instruction sets do, who
6 > designed them, whether they're cross-licensed between manufacturers and what
7 > their prospects are for continued support in the future. But I would
8 > personally find that very boring, and I am much happier to have learned a
9 > little about how mplayer's build system works and how Gentoo wraps that.
12 It actually turns out that you can get the bare essentials on all of these
13 in about four minutes from Wikipedia. Just sayin'.... :)
14
15 Reading this thread, though, it seems like it would be useful to have a
16 FEATURES=cpudetection for Portage. I honestly don't understand why the user
17 should have to be arsed to set those USEs manually if they don't actually
18 care about moving binary packages around. Thoughts?
19
20 Cheers,
21 Wyatt