From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 20:04:18
1 On Mittwoch 27 Mai 2009, Wyatt Epp wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Stroller
3 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
4 > > Of course, the amount of time I've spent on this thread, I could perhaps
5 > > have learned *exactly* what all these extended instruction sets do, who
6 > > designed them, whether they're cross-licensed between manufacturers and
7 > > what their prospects are for continued support in the future. But I would
8 > > personally find that very boring, and I am much happier to have learned a
9 > > little about how mplayer's build system works and how Gentoo wraps that.
10 >
11 > It actually turns out that you can get the bare essentials on all of these
12 > in about four minutes from Wikipedia. Just sayin'.... :)
13 >
14 > Reading this thread, though, it seems like it would be useful to have a
15 > FEATURES=cpudetection for Portage. I honestly don't understand why the
16 > user should have to be arsed to set those USEs manually if they don't
17 > actually care about moving binary packages around. Thoughts?
18
19 thoughts: there are distros that hold your hand already.