From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 20:11:07
1 On Wednesday 27 May 2009 22:04:06 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Mittwoch 27 Mai 2009, Wyatt Epp wrote:
3 > > On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Stroller
4 >
5 > <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
6 > > > Of course, the amount of time I've spent on this thread, I could
7 > > > perhaps have learned *exactly* what all these extended instruction sets
8 > > > do, who designed them, whether they're cross-licensed between
9 > > > manufacturers and what their prospects are for continued support in the
10 > > > future. But I would personally find that very boring, and I am much
11 > > > happier to have learned a little about how mplayer's build system works
12 > > > and how Gentoo wraps that.
13 > >
14 > > It actually turns out that you can get the bare essentials on all of
15 > > these in about four minutes from Wikipedia. Just sayin'.... :)
16 > >
17 > > Reading this thread, though, it seems like it would be useful to have a
18 > > FEATURES=cpudetection for Portage. I honestly don't understand why the
19 > > user should have to be arsed to set those USEs manually if they don't
20 > > actually care about moving binary packages around. Thoughts?
21 >
22 > thoughts: there are distros that hold your hand already.
23
24 There's also Windows. For just in case Ubuntu doesn't hold enough of your
25 hand.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com