From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Web based ftp alternative
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:37:21
1 On Wednesday 29 October 2008, 09:06, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > you can't use winblows extorter to drop files onto an ftp server? I
4 > > would have thought that was, er, basic functionality...
5 >
6 > Yeah, that's what I thought too. The GF suspected otherwise for IE7
7 > and confirmed it by asking that nice Mr Google person
8
9 Ok, that's OT, but it's not that difficult. They just moved the ftp
10 functionality from Internet explorer to Windows explorer (yes, many
11 people are not even aware of the difference). When you open a FTP site
12 with ie7, it just shows you a basic interface with hyperlinks but no
13 ability to copy/paste or drag/drop stuff (just like basic FF). But,
14 there is a line at top of the page that clearly says:
15
16 "To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer, click Page, and then click
17 Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer."
18
19 Just do what it says, and you have the (cough) good old interface where
20 you can do drag/drop etc.
21
22 I'm however all for using FF with a suitable plugin to do ftp. However,
23 for basic users, I fear that even a clean interface like that provided
24 by fireftp might look too complicated (sigh).
25
26 To the OP: have you considered creating a very simple php interface to
27 upload files, like eg
28
29 http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_file_upload.asp
30
31 (but there are dozen of other example on the web)