From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: a question about updating process
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:43:29
1 behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I guess I got it know !
5 > And I must say that the way Gentoo is working now, is simple, no doubts.
8 If you are really interested in using GIT with gentoo, then read up
9 on overlays and layman
10
11 "layman -L" shows experimental and code_hacks in progress.
12
13 GIT among other code management systems are used. Git is the most
14 common.
17 NEVER, use an overlay to replace a gentoo stable package, only to
18 install something additional or non-critical! (you've been warned!).
22 > And I am surprised to hear that Gentoo is so strict to follow upstream.
23 > I guess it makes it the most vanilla flavored, And I really like it !
24
25 Are you kidding? Really? Who the hell is going to even touch, yet
26 alone maintain some of the advanced mathematics libraries we all
27 enjoy on Gentoo? Many are difficult as hell to get stable on gentoo
28 and use in other (science) projects; just as one example. We stand tall,
29 here at gentoo, because we have the collective wisdom to use the
30 work provided by the larger community of hackers, coders, students
31 and yes burnt_out_too_often_abused_admins who often appear to have bad
32 attitudes...... (hi Alan!)
33
34 Here's but one example, you should take on to manage, upgrade and
35 enhance in your spare time?
36
37 http://www.dune-project.org/
40 Here is another one (you do like video on your workstation?:
41 media-video/ffmpeg
42
43 Sorry for being blunt, but you just do not realize just how rediculous
44 this line of reasoning/questioning is?
47 hth,
48 James