From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How does grub assemble a RAID1 for / ??
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:07:33
1 On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 05/04/2010 00:12, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> 1) If you don't specify metadata then you get the newest - I think
5 >> that's currently ver. 1.2 or something.
6 >
7 > Interesting. I suppose that might be a change in mdadm-3.0 (a version which
8 > I have yet to use to create any new arrays). However, that would contradict
9 > the man page which still says:
10 >
11 > "0, 0.90, default"
12 >
13 >> 2) I tried 1.0 this morning (shown below) which didn't fix it.
14 >
15 > Right. Any version above in the 1 series (1, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2) will not work.
16 > I'm certain that reverting to the original format is going to resolve the
17 > issue and that we've just been barking up the wrong tree(s) hitherto.
18 >
19 > --Kerin
20
21 I'm emerging gentoo-sources in the chroot now.
22
23 One thing about this that still confuses me is where /dev/md3, or
24 whatever, comes from when I boot if the the mknod command is never
25 executed within the chrrot. (As per the install guide.) Not a big deal
26 to proceed and see what happens. Maybe the kernel just creates it
27 based on discovering the RAID? Or it makes it because I explicitly
28 define it at the command line?
29
30 As I say, no big deal to just push forward but that's still a question
31 for me at this point.
32
33 Cheers,
34 Mark