From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up: Gentoo fouls up mail transport agent.
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 02:11:51
1 On 2018-07-21 23:04, Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > Manually installing things in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin will often cause
4 > problems because Portage assumes that it controls those directories.
5 >
6 > So don't do that: you should manually install things in /usr/local.
7 >
8 > Or, install qmail using portage, so that the system knows you have an
9 > MTA. If you don't like the default qmail ebuild for some reason, you
10 > can use your own.
11 >
12 > Or, tell Portage you have an MTA by adding an appropriate line to
13 > /etc/portage/profie/package.provided. See portage(5).
14 >
15 > Or, don't use Gentoo if you don't want to do things the way Gentoo
16 > does things.
17
18 I agree than one should not normally install hand-compiled programs in
19 the normal directories controlled by portage. I can see how the case of
20 MTA can tempt someone into violating that rule, though: unlike most of
21 all other cases where a program is called by other programs, the path to
22 /usr/sbin/sendmail is usually hardcoded, and there is no well known
23 environment variable either (like EDITOR or PAGER). mutt has a runtime
24 configuration option for the MTA but that's unusual.
25
26 In fact, I myself am guilty of the corresponding sin on my Debian
27 server: I want to run the latest version of my pet MTA, exim, and with
28 the features I choose, so hand compiling is the only way. And this week
29 it backfired on me too: I carelessly installed some package that
30 depended on a MTA - and boom, /usr/sbin/sendmail, which had been a
31 symlink to /opt/exim/bin/exim, was overwritten by something like
32 nullmailer.
33
34 The /usr/sbin/sendmail convention is one of the parts of Unix that,
35 honestly, sucks. With repeated and prolonged exposure one can get
36 irritated enough to turn Poettering :-P
37
38 On Gentoo the best way is to make your own package from your favorite
39 MTA _and_ your own virtual/mta, and make both available in a local repo.
40 Recently I discovered dma[1] which IMHO is the _best_ lightweight MTA
41 for client machines, so now I have a Gentoo package for it.
42
43 [1]
44 https://github.com/corecode/dma/
47 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
48 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
49 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
50 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.