From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS for Pentium Dual Core E2160 ?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:30:23
1 David W Noon schrieb:
2
3 > You need to consider CHOST as well, to ensure you make the most of the
4 > newer CPUs.
5 >
6 > Here is what I use on an E6600 machine:
7 >
8 > CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
9 > CFLAGS="-march=nocona -mmmx -m3dnow -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mfpmath=sse,387 -O2 -pipe"
10 >
11 > Note that -fomit-frame-pointer is not applicable on AMD64/EM64T hardware
12 > platforms; it will be silently ignored by GCC. Most of the additional
13 > processor features I have specified (MMX, SSE/2/3, 3DNow!) are actually
14 > implied by the -march=nocona, but I specify as a mnemonic to myself
15 > that these are [potentially] in use on this box.
16 >
17 > If you simply restored from a Pentium 4 system you will need to take the
18 > steps to change the CHOST. This is documented on the Gentoo web site.
19
20 Phew, this scares me ;)
21
22 I use
23 CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
24
25 now, and don't want to go 64bit anyway (at least not in the near
26 future), so I think will just edit the CFLAGS for a start and re-emerge
27 system, then world?
28
29 Or is it preferable to really change that CHOST even when running a
30 32bit system? (I have a E6600 as well as my main workstation ... this
31 would apply there also)
32
33 Thanks for any tips on this, I am rather defensive when it comes to
34 change these essential settings.
35
36 Stefan
37 --