From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless help?
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 14:38:10
1 On 1 Dec 2007, at 06:32, Grant wrote:
2
3 > I'm trying to set up a new laptop's wireless interface. lspci says it
4 > has an Atheros AR5006EG which should mean the madwifi drivers. I
5 > emerged madwifi-ng and madwifi-ng-tools, created net.ath0 as a link to
6 > net.lo, and set the ath_pci module to autoload (which it does without
7 > errors) but I get:
8 >
9 > network interface ath0 does not exist
10 > Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)
11 >
12 > when trying to start net.ath0. Does this sound like a driver support
13 > problem or did I miss something? ifconfig only shows eth0 and lo.
14 > iwconfig shows, eth0, lo, and sit0. I don't know what sit0 is.
15
16 Hi there,
17
18 Madwifi is different from all (I think) of the other Linux wireless
19 drivers in that it requires use of the wlanconfig command.
20
21 EG:
22 wlanconfig ath create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
23
24 See also: http://madwifi.org/users-guide/node14.html
25
26 When posting about wireless issues you really need to post the OUTPUT
27 of `iwconfig` also.
28 EG:
29 iwconfig wlan0 enc aaaaaaaaaa mode managed essid driveon channel 7
30 <http://www.newlinuxuser.com/howto-use-iwconfig/>
31
32 If you're unable to connect to the net then copy the output textfile
33 to a connected machine using a USB key or floppy disk.
34
35 It seems, however, that you're not alone in having problems with this
36 card: <http://www.google.com/search?q=madwifi+AR5006EG>. It looks to
37 me that if you use the latest version of the madwifi drivers then you
38 may be successful, but you may find madwifi's own mailing lists more
39 helpful. I don't think you need to use NDISwrapper, although I have
40 to confess that I am slightly religious on this matter.
41
42 Stroller.
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list