From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update After A Year
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:43:06
1 It's been much less than a year since I've updated last, however I'm
2 experiencing problems updating my system. First off, I have Gentoo
3 2007.0 installed on an AMD64 X2 3800+ (SMP kernel.) I cannot upgrade PAM
4 from 0.99.8.1-r1 to 0.99.9.0. The output of trying to do so is the
5 following:
6
7 emerge pam
8 Calculating dependencies... done!
9 >>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...
10
11 >>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0 to /
12 * Linux-PAM-0.99.9.0.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-)
13 ... [ ok ]
14 * checking ebuild checksums ;-)
15 ... [ ok ]
16 * checking auxfile checksums ;-)
17 ... [ ok ]
18 * checking miscfile checksums ;-)
19 ... [ ok ]
20 * checking Linux-PAM-0.99.9.0.tar.bz2 ;-)
21 ... [ ok ]
22 *
23 * Your current setup is using one or more of the following modules,
24 * that are not built or supported anymore:
25 * pam_pwdb, pam_radius, pam_timestamp, pam_console
26 * If you are in real need for these modules, please contact the maintainers
27 * of PAM through http://bugs.gentoo.org/ providing information about its
28 * use cases.
29 * Please also make sure to read the PAM Upgrade guide at the following URL:
30 * http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/pam/upgrade-0.99.xml
31 *
32
33 'emerge --search pam' returns the following (I'm only going to include
34 the actual listing for pam, and not all the other stuff it lists to keep
35 the list short)
36
37 * sys-libs/pam
38 Latest version available: 0.99.9.0
39 Latest version installed: 0.99.8.1-r1
40 Size of files: 887 kB
41 Homepage: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/
43 License: PAM
44
45 I've followed the Linux-PAM upgrade guide, which didn't mention what to
46 do in the event that those modules were used.
47
48 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/pam/upgrade-0.99.xml
49
50 There is a forum discussion on this matter, however none of the modules
51 appear in /etc/pam.d/ files...
52
53 I don't know enough about PAM and Gentoo to know if running a PAMless
54 system would cause problems, I have been using linux for a while, but I
55 am relatively new to Gentoo (and yes, I realize that PAM is not
56 exclusive to Gentoo...) I've tried the #gentoo channel on FreeNode and
57 after an hour of asking and waiting, was unable to receive an answer.
58
59 Any help would be appriciated.
60
61 Thanks!