From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update After A Year
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:19:47
1 On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:57:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Generally you can just emerge -uND world and we done with it. But life
4 > isn't always so simple. I can think of a few updates in the last while
5 > that were problematic, but I think they were all more than a year ago:
6
7 The expat upgrade was less than a year ago for stable systems.
8
9 I'd go with emerge -auvDN system and check the output carefully before
10 opting to proceed. I'd also make sure that ELOG is correctly set up in
11 make.conf so you don't miss any important massages.
12
13 After updating system, it would be prudent to run revdep-rebuild before
14 moving onto the rest of world.
15
16 emerge -e is pointless, portage is quite capable of determining what
17 needs to be updated, and reemerging everything just creates noise and
18 confusion that could make it harder to deal with any potential problems.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.