From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [HEADSUP] New udev-186 breaks pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 14:42:23
1 On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:01 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > udev-186 replaces libudev.so.0 with libudev.so.1, and pulseaudio
3 > won't compile against it. If you need pulse, avoid udev-186.
4 >
5 > I backed down to udev-182-r3, which fixed the problem, but I had
6 > to run revdep-rebuild (again) to fix all the other packages that
7 > did build against libudev.so.1 and now had to be rebuilt a second
8 > time against libudev.so.0.
9
10 I ran into the same think. lvm2 also doesn't build against it, which I
11 think could potentially result in an unbootable system in the right
12 situation.
13
14 > Also, even udev-182 did some breakage to the udev scripts installed
15 > by hplip, but that's easy to fix. Apparently the recent udev has
16 > replaced the SYSFS keyword with ATTR.
17
18 I believe that was a configuration problem in the latest hplip ebuild;
19 the previous version didn't do that. I think udev has been warning
20 about SYSFS deprecation for 3 years.
21
22 > This simple fix I found with google seems to work for me:
23 >
24 > #cd /lib64/udev/rules.d
25 > #sed -i s/SYSFS/ATTR/g *
26
27 That also works.
28
29 > Doesn't it seem that breakage this big should be obvious to the
30 > devs before the changes go public, even on ~arch? Hrmph!
31
32 I guess it is called "unstable" for good reason sometimes. :) The bugs
33 we encounter, report and sometimes actually solve, will help the
34 stable users down the road so they don't have the same problems.