From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network traffic analysis
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 18:29:44
1 On Monday 16 May 2016 15:40:26 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I'm running several BOINC projects on this shiny new box and they're
5 > generating so much traffic I've had to upgrade to a plan with no download
6 > limits.
7 >
8 > It would be interesting to see which job is responsible for how much
9 > traffic, so I've been looking for a monitor program to tell me. I want it
10 > to accumulate, for each remote host, a running total of incoming and
11 > outgoing data.
12 >
13 > Is there anything around to do this and not need a web server installed on
14 > the local machine?
15
16 Have a look at iftop, iptraf-ng and if you want more graphics ntop is worth
17 considering.
18
19 Beyond those tools you could look at snmp, rrdtool and if you want a full
20 blown monitoring tool with alerts and what not you could look at nagios,
21 cacti, munin, etc., but all these would require a webserver running.
24 Regards,
25 Mick