From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Near freezes during large emerges
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:43:38
1 >> I've been running without swap for quite a while, but my system goes
2 >> into a near freeze whenever I undertake a large emerge such as
3 >> chromium or openoffice.  Is there anything I can do to prevent this
4 >> besides turning swap back on?  I have 3GB RAM and MAKEOPTS="-j1".
5 >>
6 >> - Grant
10 > As Volker says, don't turn swap off. Make it small if you must, but
11 > keep some around. It's just disk space.
12
13 I thought swap was no longer necessary on a machine with sufficient
14 memory. I guess I took I some bad advice a while back.
15
16 > I doubt swap has anything at all to do with this problem myself, but
17 > it will be interesting to hear from others.
18 >
19 > You don't say what sort of processor this machine has, nor what sort
20 > of hard drives. Even on a very high-end machine I saw the symptoms you
21 > report when I tried a 4K sector WD Green drive with the partitions
22 > misaligned. Once properly aligned the machine worked as expected.
23
24 It's a laptop with a dual-core 2.2ghz CPU.
25
26 > If this is a single processor machine and you're in the middle of a
27 > big emerge then likely you're just going to lose interactivity. It's
28 > the nature of the beast. You could try
29 >
30 > PORTAGE_NICE=
31 >
32 > in make.conf and possibly get some relief.
33 >
34 > Cheers,
35 > Mark
36
37 'onice -c 3 emerge -DuN world' ended up working great.
38
39 - Grant