From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Near freezes during large emerges
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:18:03
1 On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> I've been running without swap for quite a while, but my system goes
3 >>> into a near freeze whenever I undertake a large emerge such as
4 >>> chromium or openoffice.  Is there anything I can do to prevent this
5 >>> besides turning swap back on?  I have 3GB RAM and MAKEOPTS="-j1".
6 >>>
7 >>> - Grant
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> As Volker says, don't turn swap off. Make it small if you must, but
12 >> keep some around. It's just disk space.
13 >
14 > I thought swap was no longer necessary on a machine with sufficient
15 > memory.  I guess I took I some bad advice a while back.
18 I think the idea is never use swap if possible, but in a case where
19 you don't have swap space or run out of swap space I think it's still
20 possible to lose data. I no longer double memory in swap. In the old
21 days I did that. On this server I have 24GB or memory. It seems silly
22 to chew up 50GB of disk space for something that almost never gets
23 touched. If I see this machine swapping I turn something off, but I'm
24 the only user and here to watch what it's doing.
27 <SNIP>
28 >> You don't say what sort of processor this machine has, nor what sort
29 >> of hard drives. Even on a very high-end machine I saw the symptoms you
30 >> report when I tried a 4K sector WD Green drive with the partitions
31 >> misaligned. Once properly aligned the machine worked as expected.
32 >
33 > It's a laptop with a dual-core 2.2ghz CPU.
36 So -j1 is pretty safe. That's what I was wondering...
37
38 <SNIP>
39 >
40 > 'onice -c 3 emerge -DuN world' ended up working great.
41 >
42 > - Grant
43
44 Yeah, I saw the response that got you there. Good info and good to
45 know it works.
46
47 Cheers,
48 Mark