From: "Francisco J. A. Ares" <frares@×××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:09:04
1 Fernando Meira wrote:
2
3 > Ok, so running through that forum I decided to try out some of the
4 > scripts to clean stale distfiles.
5 > The first one (distcleaner-0.0.2) returned a lot of errors. The second
6 > (distmaint.py) was too weird. Finally, (distclean.sh) seemed to be ok,
7 > and freed 255 MB. I could then end my emerge (eclipse). After the
8 > emerge I end-up with 805Mb free.
9 >
10 > As you say Holly, this is far from enough if I want to compile
11 > something big and also maybe for smaller apps. Which means that I have
12 > a problem.
13 > In fact, I have a 38GB disk on my laptop. My mistake was that I
14 > assumed that gentoo was not so space-consuming. Now I'll have to make
15 > some modifications, redo my partitions. What I would like was to clean
16 > once per all my windoz partition (9GB)... but from time to time I need
17 > it.. unless I find a replacement to all the things I need from there.
18 >
19 > Anyway, thanks for the replies.
20 > If someone has a nice script to maintain distfiles under control let
21 > me know. ;)
22 >
23 > Cheers,
24 > Fernando.
27 Not a script, but I have some machines with /usr/portage NFS'd to a
28 server (I'm thinking about doing the same with /var/tmp/portage/ also,
29 but don't know how to lock it to avoid colisions).
30
31 If you have a desktop, you can do the same, and also use distcc to
32 accelerate the builds.
33
34 Francisco
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list