From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:25:55
1 On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Mittwoch 10 Februar 2010, Roy Wright wrote:
4 > >> On Feb 10, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 > >> > On Mittwoch 10 Februar 2010, Christian Apeltauer wrote:
6 > >> >> Hello list,
7 > >> >> when I synced my portage tree today, I saw that kmail-4.4.0 needs
8 > >> >> kdelibs compiled with USE="semantic-desktop" and cannot be told to
9 > >> >> not use it. But I do not like the idea of semantic desktop and I
10 > >> >> will not install it.
11 > >> >
12 > >> > you don't even now what that is. Right?
13 > >> >
14 > >> > You just don't use 'it' and you are fine. Btw, I am sure you already
15 > >> > have it installed with soprano.
16 > >>
17 > >> My understanding is the semantic-desktop is just the latest incarnation
18 > >> of kde's clone of google desktop search which just wastes CPU, memory,
19 > >> and
20 > >> disk space. Personally I don't see the need for this technology as I'm
21 > >> perfectly happy waiting a few seconds on "find" every few months.
22 > >
23 > > your understanding is wrong. Completely wrong. Seriously it hurts.
24 > >
25 > > start here:
26 > >
27 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_(framework)
28 > >
29 > > and then proceed with the links.
30 > >
31 > > google-desktop is something completley different (and something that can
32 > > be replaced with find, locate and grep).
33 >
34 > Well, in 4.3.x I eliminated it after the first try, because it took so many
35 > resources of my machine, that I could not use it for something else. So,
36 > you mean, in 4.4.x it takes only a 10% of the resources it took with
37 > 4.3.x? LOL, although I really like the idea of the semantic desktop, I
38 > rather have a usable machine ...
39 >
40 > - Jörg
41
42 I don't know what load it creates because I never even have any negative
43 impact. Yes, there is some nepomuk stuff sleeping in the background and it has
44 zero impact on my desktop behaviour.