From: Derek Tracy <tracyde@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 22:47:17
1 On 11/16/05, Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wednesday 16 November 2005 02:50 pm, Derek Tracy wrote:
4 >
5 > > That is what I was thinking when I switched to stable..... From what I
6 > am
7 > > seeing either my computer doesn't like stable code or stable does not
8 > mean
9 > > stable anymore.
10 >
11 > But thats not what you said. I Quote:
12 >
13 > "In the past I have always leaned toward ~x86 (I love bleeding edge). But
14 > since this was going to be a new install I decided to do the preferred
15 > method
16 > and set all ~x86 flags via /etc/portage/package.keywords for specific
17 > packages. "
20 This means your MIXING the two and is only recommended once the system is
21 > up.
22 > During an install, you should do one or the other, not start mixing and
23 > matching. HOWEVER, if you did set all to x86, and havent touched
24 > package.keyword, read the next paragraph.
27 I did not set any of the flags as I wanted to get the system up and running
28 first. What I was doing was pointing out that if I needed to set the ~x86
29 flag on any packages then I would do so via the above stated file.
30
31 Stable is fine.. I really dont understand how some modules have ANY thing to
32 > do with being x86 or ~x86.. Modules are always finicky, no matter what
33 > linux
34 > distro you use.. You probably are just forgetting to compile in the kernel
35 > options you had before, that you do not now have. (Guessing of course).
38 Been there and checked that. Confirmed to not be the case.
39
40 Sounds to me you just re-installed before making sure you had all your ducks
41 > in a row and blaming it on gentoo. I havent seen anything in your message
42 > that I can say, gentoo did it, and you didnt do it yourself.. It all
43 > really
44 > just sounds like configuration issues, that happens on all new install, no
45 > matter the distro, x86/~x86, or otherwise.
48 I would have to disagree with you on this. I do not believe that it is a
49 config issue I beleive that many of the x86 packages still do not play well
50 with each other, that is what I am saying needs fixed.
51
52 Jeff
60 Derek Tracy
61 tracyde@×××××.com