From: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:54:48
1 On Wednesday 16 November 2005 02:50 pm, Derek Tracy wrote:
2
3 > That is what I was  thinking when I switched to stable.....  From what I am
4 > seeing either my computer doesn't like stable code or stable does not mean
5 > stable anymore.
6
7 But thats not what you said. I Quote:
8
9 "In the past I have always leaned toward ~x86 (I love bleeding edge).  But
10 since this was going to be a new install I decided to do the preferred method
11 and set all ~x86 flags via /etc/portage/package.keywords for specific
12 packages. "
13
14 This means your MIXING the two and is only recommended once the system is up.
15 During an install, you should do one or the other, not start mixing and
16 matching. HOWEVER, if you did set all to x86, and havent touched
17 package.keyword, read the next paragraph.
18
19 Stable is fine.. I really dont understand how some modules have ANY thing to
20 do with being x86 or ~x86.. Modules are always finicky, no matter what linux
21 distro you use.. You probably are just forgetting to compile in the kernel
22 options you had before, that you do not now have. (Guessing of course).
23
24 Sounds to me you just re-installed before making sure you had all your ducks
25 in a row and blaming it on gentoo. I havent seen anything in your message
26 that I can say, gentoo did it, and you didnt do it yourself.. It all really
27 just sounds like configuration issues, that happens on all new install, no
28 matter the distro, x86/~x86, or otherwise.
29
30 Jeff