From: Derek Tracy <tracyde@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:59:46
1 On 11/16/05, Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 11/16/05, Derek Tracy <tracyde@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > This is a lot longer than I originally intended it to be so if you want
5 > the
6 > > jist of it skip to the end.
7 > >
8 > > (DISCLAIMER: Let me start off by saying that this is truly not a flame
9 > but
10 > > more of a concern. So please do not flame me for stating my
11 > > opinions/concerns.)
12 >
13 > Guess you won't get any flames, just considerable advices, cause we
14 > don't wanna loose a Gentooer :)
15 >
16 > > I have been an avid Gentoo User for 2 and 1/2 years now. I have
17 > installed
18 > > Gentoo on many different platforms including HPPA and Sparc, not too
19 > mention
20 > > the countless x86 installs. I have never had a problem, every install
21 > has
22 > > went smooth. I have done both Stage3 and Stage1 installs (I have always
23 > > preferred a Stage1 install).
24 > >
25 > > Recently, I decided that it was time to reinstall due to the numerous
26 > > packages that I had installed and different DE's / WM configurations,
27 > and I
28 > > must admit that I have recently been diving into LVM2 and encryption (I
29 > > figured that starting from scratch would be my best bet). In the past I
30 > > have always leaned toward ~x86 (I love bleeding edge). But since this
31 > was
32 > > going to be a new install I decided to do the preferred method and set
33 > all
34 > > ~x86 flags via /etc/portage/package.keywords for specific packages.
35 >
36 > I would never even consider completely reinstall a working
37 > environment, specially one that installation and configuration is 90%
38 > of the work you'll ever have dealing with the machine (except maybe
39 > for hardware failures).
43 The biggest reason for the reinstall was because in my contant playing
44 around with DE's and WM's trying to find one that I completely liked. I had
45 KDE, GNOME, E17, FVWM, OpenBOX (I think that is it) all on my system. In all
46 of my toying around I found out a lot about myself, for 1 GUI applications
47 make me work slower and FVWM was and is all I need to make me happy. So I
48 could either unemerge KDE GNOME and the rest (which would surely leave all
49 sorts of unneeded libs and things) or I could reinstall. To me
50 reinstallation sounded a lot easier. Also note that this is the first time
51 that I have had a really hard time getting Gentoo to work. (I will most
52 likely never reinstall on this machine again.)
53
54 > Now since we have the background we will get to the questions at hand.
55 > > During this install I have run into nothing but problems. I boot from
56 > the
57 > > livecd just fine (if I append nopcmcia and dolvm2) and everything goes
58 > > smooth. NOTE: I am performing this install step by step from the online
59 > > handbook with a slight modification I am using LVM2 for /usr
60 > /usr/portage
61 > > /opt /var /tmp /home (I figured I would take advantage of some setuid
62 > > security procedures). Part way through the online handbook I noticed
63 > that
64 > > they standardized the Stage3 install. I figured that since the
65 > developers
66 > > thought it was best to use a Stage3 install then why not give it a shot.
67 > So
68 > > I installed everything according to the handbook and all went well until
69 > I
70 > > restarted.
71 >
72 > You see, I'm one of those guys that think: "if you got the livecd
73 > working, network, maybe video, sound or anything else with NO DISC,
74 > your system is gentooable". :) of course you may run into problems
75 > accourding to your config and special needs, it always happened to me,
76 > but hey, at least you know what you're doying, not like those easy,
77 > complete, fast and general installations that keeps LOTS of trash
78 > making your system crawl compared to a clean, wise and configurated
79 > environment.
80 >
81 > > After restarting I noticed that ipw2200 did not load properly was posted
82 > in
83 > > my boot mesg WTF. I distinctly remembered during the install that I
84 > waited
85 > > until after I installed the kernel, then I went ahead and installed the
86 > > external modules. (NOTE: I did not use the built in kernel modules for
87 > > ipw2200 or ieee80211 I had read too many horror stories about
88 > incompatible
89 > > versions of ipw2200-firmware and I have always had good luck with the
90 > > external drivers) One other thing, instead of going for pure on the edge
91 > > goodness of using a Nitro-esque kernel (one optimized for speed over
92 > > stability) I decided to use Gentoo-sources again trusting the developers
93 > > judgement. After searching through tons of articles regarding ipw2200
94 > > drivers not working with the latest "Stable" Gentoo-Sources I decided to
95 > go
96 > > with the kernel drivers and give them a shot. I recompiled rebooted and
97 > low
98 > > and behold the drivers still weren't working. After trying all sorts of
99 > > different combinations Unstable versions of this stable versions of
100 > that.
101 > > Nothing worked, so I proceeded to reboot back into the livecd and
102 > re-chroot
103 > > into my system so I could get a network connection and install the
104 > Madwifi
105 > > Drivers, for a pcmcia card that I have laying around. Also note that the
106 > > Madwifi drivers are considered Unstable. I rebooted the computer and the
107 > > drivers actually worked (Yea Unstable). So I got the network connection
108 > up,
109 > > then I decided to go ahead and install X (I thought that it would be
110 > easier
111 > > to troubleshoot the ipw drivers from a graphical environment copy,
112 > paste,
113 > > multiple xterms.). Well I compiled and installed Xorg and compiled and
114 > > installed nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx, and what do you think happened (btw
115 > I
116 > > copied over a backed up xorg.conf from the last installation so I know
117 > that
118 > > that conf file works and is correct) I went to startx...........It
119 > kicked
120 > > back saying screens were found but no usable configs......So down
121 > > troubleshooting lane I went. I recompiled, verified I did not have
122 > agpgart
123 > > / dri enabled in kernel, then with both in kernel, stable and unstable
124 > > versions of nvidia-kernel / nvidia-glx, everything a no go.. I finally
125 > > settled with using Xorg's nv driver. Now here I am with a really nice
126 > > laptop (Sony S-460) but with no video hardware acceleration, the
127 > inablility
128 > > to use the built in wireless card (NOTE: before the reinstall everything
129 > was
130 > > working).
131 > >
132 > > So now I am waiting for the whole system to recompile using ~x86 (the so
133 > > called "Unstable" packages) and I will see if that works or not.
134 >
135 > I'm a stable user, so, would never do that, can't predict what can go
136 > wrong...
139 That is what I was thinking when I switched to stable..... From what I am
140 seeing either my computer doesn't like stable code or stable does not mean
141 stable anymore.
142
143 > I am seriously reconsidering finding another OS to use, this whole
144 > headache
145 > > has been totally ridiculous. I could see this if I would have emerged
146 > all
147 > > of the unstable packages to begin with or even perform a Stage1 install
148 > > after the developers decided to make the Stage3 the default. But I
149 > didn't I
150 > > did everything according to the documentation (and I triple checked that
151 > I
152 > > did not skip anything).
153 >
154 > Well, Gentoo is choices, you can even choose not to use it, but it was
155 > always the best choice for everything Linux I've needed so far... OK,
156 > so, I spent a week configuration my last system install, but its
157 > working for about 3 months now, flawless, it was worth the time spent.
158 > At home, it took me a month to completely setup the system, including
159 > Xorg and Desktop Manager, well, nine or so months flawless, my memory
160 > was gone bad, my CD drive broke, and still, my system OS is up-to-date
161 > and running. Never got nothing like this with any OS I've tried.
162 >
163 > > So with all of this said if the developers do not start testing
164 > everything a
165 > > little more thoroughly then I predict there will be a serious drop in
166 > the
167 > > number of Gentoo Followers out there. Especially if a Gentoo Veteren has
168 > > this hard of a time installing the operating system that I love.
169 >
170 > I can sincerely disagree with you. And that's why I have spread the
171 > word and made a lot of friends start working with gentoo, most of them
172 > liked it and are spreading the word. Of course, installing gentoo is a
173 > time consuming task, configuring it is even more time consuming, but
174 > hey, that's a small price to pay for complete control over your
175 > system.
176 >
177 > > When a branch is marked stable all of the packages in that branch should
178 > > work, yes there will always be configuration glitches but the problems I
179 > > have had during this install were not from configuration glitches. They
180 > are
181 > > what looks like incompatible packages and numerous other things. If
182 > Gentoo
183 > > is going to continue to grow then we as a community need to speak up
184 > about
185 > > things like this.
186 >
187 > Testing is hard work, I would not blame the Gentoo Team for this,
188 > there are infinite combinations of hardware, software and configs that
189 > may cause different problems, and if you want a working system that is
190 > flawless, fast and reliable, you give up some good stuff from other
191 > OSs, like easy installs, easy hardware replacement, easy
192 > configuration.
195 I would definately agree with you if I was installing things that are out of
196 the ordinary. But I am not it is merely a system install by the handbook
197 (which was written by developers).
198
199 This is just my 2 cents, many people will disagree, but I won't change
200 > my OS for a long time, Gentoo rocks, and small changes (like stage1
201 > for stage3 default install) won't harm me that much, I choose installs
202 > depending on hardware and network availability, not just because one
203 > is faster or default. I'm even considering Gentoo compatibility when
204 > buying new hardware for my systems, and advicing my fellows at work to
205 > do the same, if Gentoo runs it, to hell with the rest.
206 >
207 > > --
208 > > ---------------------------------
209 > > Derek Tracy