From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:03:58
1 On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:50:00 -0500, Derek Tracy wrote:
2
3 > The biggest reason for the reinstall was because in my contant playing
4 > around with DE's and WM's trying to find one that I completely liked. I
5 > had KDE, GNOME, E17, FVWM, OpenBOX (I think that is it) all on my
6 > system. In all of my toying around I found out a lot about myself, for
7 > 1 GUI applications make me work slower and FVWM was and is all I need
8 > to make me happy. So I could either unemerge KDE GNOME and the rest
9 > (which would surely leave all sorts of unneeded libs and things) or I
10 > could reinstall.
11
12 emerge -C kde-meta gnome
13 emerge depclean -a
14
15 Much easier than reinstalling, and the reason for depclean.
16
17 > To me reinstallation sounded a lot easier.
18
19 Reinstallation is never easier. All it ever does is hide the issues, you
20 never find out how to resolve them.
21
22 > That is what I was thinking when I switched to stable..... From what I
23 > am seeing either my computer doesn't like stable code or stable does
24 > not mean stable anymore.
25
26 It's not about stable code, that is up to the upstream developers. arch
27 vs. ~arch is about the stability of the ebuilds, and this is using stable
28 in the same way that Debian do; not changing. An arch ebuild is stable
29 because it has not changed in, usually, at least 30 days. A ~arch ebuild
30 is for testing, it does not mean the program is unstable.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 First Law of Laboratory Work: