From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 17:26:51
1 Sid Spry wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, at 11:38 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> Which is better than not knowing until the drive is failed and
4 >> offline. :)
5 >>
6 > But redundant if the drive degration is obvious. In two cases I
7 > can think of drives only reported SMART will-fail after the drives
8 > had hard failed. In the other cases performance was so degraded
9 > it was obvious it was the drive.
14 I've had two hard drive failures that SMART warned me about.  If not for
15 SMART I wouldn't have noticed the drives having issues until much
16 later.  Maybe even after losing a lot of data.  In both of those cases,
17 I lost no data at all.  I was able to recover everything off the drive.
18
19 SMART can't predict the future so it can only monitor for the things it
20 can see.  If say a spindle bearing is about to lock up suddenly, SMART
21 most likely can't detect that since it is a hardware failure that can't
22 really be predicted.  We may be able to hear a strange sound if we lucky
23 but if it happens suddenly, it may not even do that.  While SMART can't
24 predict all points of failures, it can detect a lot of them.  Even if
25 the two drives I had failed with no warning from SMART, I'd still run it
26 and monitor it.  Using SMART can warn you in certain situations.  If a
27 person doesn't run SMART, they will miss those warnings.
28
29 SMART isn't perfect but it is better than not having it all.
30
31 Dale
32