From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive screws
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 04:08:00
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I know this sounds like a silly question and I never thought I would
5 > have to ask such a basic question like this.  I bought a external hard
6 > drive enclosure and was trying to install a hard drive I had laying
7 > around.  The screws that come with the enclosure doesn't fit.  The
8 > screws have a coarse thread and it seems the drive case has fine
9 > threads.  It's the only screws that come with it so it has to be for
10 > that purpose.  Anyway, I dug around my screw bin and found a few
11 > screws that fit better but still not quite right.  I went to ebay and
12 > typed in 100 hard drive screws.  I want to buy a bag of them to have
13 > around when I need them.  It's amazing what I got for results.  Some
14 > list a brand they fit.  Some say laptop, few mention a desktop
15 > system.  Looking at pics, some seem to be coarse thread, some sort of
16 > fine thread.  Some standard, some metric.  Some are phillips head and
17 > some look like allen type or star type heads.  I'm sitting here
18 > wondering, is this nuts or what?  Pardon the pun there.  It's just
19 > crazy.  lol
20 >
21 > Is there not a standard sized screw that should fit all 3.5" and even
22 > 2.5" drives??  Whether they are spinning rust, SSD or the outdated
23 > floppy drives.  Are they THAT different or are the pictures
24 > misleading?  If there is a standard or does WD take one size screw
25 > while Seagate takes another and Toshiba yet another?  If someone has
26 > found a size that fits them all, could you please share the sizes or a
27 > link so I can have something to go by?  I already have a few hundred
28 > screws that don't fit.  I really don't need yet another 100 to add to
29 > the don't fit anything pile.
30 >
31 > What happened to the simple days where things would just fit like they
32 > should??  ^_O
33 >
34 > Thanks for any hints.
35 >
36 > Dale
37 >
38 > :-)  :-)
39 >
40 > P. S. The enclosure I got is a eSATA or USB type.  I use the eSATA
41 > connector.  Found it on Amazon and it's a Rosewill.  The enclosure not
42 > long ago was about $60 each.  I got two for $54 with free shipping.
43 > It has a temp controlled fan too.  I bought other USB only enclosures
44 > that wasn't worth the shipping much less the cost of the item.  I
45 > think I had one that worked fairly well but was really slow.  Maybe it
46 > was USB2 but I suspect it was defaulting to USB1.  A few others failed
47 > after a short time, I suspect USB issues myself.  I still need to run
48 > up on a good deal on a PMR type 8TB drive, designed for 24/7 use.  I
49 > need to expand /home.  It's at 70% right now.  o_O
52 I wanted to update with some info. I ordered one bag of screws, threads
53 weren't right.  I then ordered a different size and got them today.  I
54 tested them on a few hard drives I had laying around, some old and some
55 fairly new ones.  Those fit.  I could screw them in with my fingers so
56 the threads seem to be dead on.  The size I bought was 6-32UNC x 1/8".
57 I'm not sure what the UNC means or if it matters.  The one I bought that
58 did NOT fit, it didn't give a screw size but mentioned both SDD and HDD
59 and laptop, if that helps anyone any searching.
60
61 BTW, I paid about $10 for 100 screws. Sort of pricey I think but it was
62 the best deal I could find.  I'll likely drop and lose half of those.  LOL
63
64 Dale
65