From: Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: spikeheron@×××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old EEE PC 1000
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 02:19:05
1 On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 07:06:15PM -0700, Joseph wrote:
2 > On 02/09/15 02:24, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
3 > >Am Sonntag, 08.02.2015 um 18:05
4 > >schrieb Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>:
5 > >
6 > >> I have an old Asus EEE PC 1000 and I don't think it will run Gentoo,
7 > >> it would be too slow to compile anything. It is running Ubuntu 11.10
8 > >> and I think I'll need to re-install lighter version of Linux on it.
9 > >> What are my alternatives?
10 > >>
11 > >> I'll would like to run VPN, some browser on it and skype.
12 > >>
13 > >
14 > >On slow machines I tend to install xubuntu.
15 > >
16 > >Regards
17 > >wabe
18 >
19 > I've tried "xubuntu" but I can not install freenx on it. The documentation doesn't exist and it is not in default repository.
20 > What alternatives are there. I know Gentoo might work, I would need to boot strap, configure kernel and setup distcc, one week work.
21 >
22 > --
23 > Joseph
26 On my oldest machine (Dell laptop from 1998), with 4GiB HDD and 128 mb of ram,
27 I run OpenBSD and it works perfectly, given the circumstances. All binaries,
28 so no compiling. True, I can't use Firefox, Thunderbird, or other real
29 RAM hogs, but I can use X, lightweight graphical browsers, mutt, etc.
30 Install time is about one-half hour.