From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Return of My Continuing ALSA woes
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:06:19
1 On 11/17/05, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 07:24 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On 11/17/05, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > I got my new computer about a month ago. It uses the snd-hda-intel ALSA
5 > > > driver.
6 > >
7 > > <SNIP>
8 > >
9 > > > I remerged alsa-driver.
10 > >
11 > > Unless your sound card is a special case you should not emerge
12 > > alsa-driver. The alsa-driver is included in the kernel.
13 > >
14 > > Just a thought.
15 > >
16 > > Cheers,
17 > > Mark
18 >
19 > When I first got this computer and I couldn't get my sound to work I
20 > emailed this list asking for help. A lot of people on the list told me
21 > to use ALSA compiled into my kernel with support for my card, but I
22 > could never get it to work. I finally got it to work by not enabling
23 > ALSA in my kernel and emerging alsa-driver. Now alsa-driver has stopped
24 > working. It seems unlikely that what wouldn't work before (namely
25 > compiling ALSA support into my kernel) would work now...
28 OK, but you are not running the same kernel today that you were
29 running a month ago, correct? Are you running the same version of
30 alsa-driver, or is it newer? Did you possibly choose testing before
31 and grabbed stable this time? (~x86 vs. x86)
32
33 I would assume that if you choose exactly the software you used before
34 you will get exactly the same results.
35
36 - Mark
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list