From: frares@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 19:27:32
1 Em 18/08/2011 16:17, frares@×××××.com escreveu:
2 > Em 18/08/2011 16:13, Michael Mol mikemol@×××××.com> escreveu:
3 > > On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM, frares@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > Hi, guys
6 > > >
7 > > > It is a shame, I know, but after several years using Gentoo, it is
8 > the first time I try to build a kernel without "genkernel".
9 > > >
10 > > > And now I can't boot to that new kernel, it does not find (and really
11 > do not have a) /dev/sda* root partition ("real-root"); during the boot it
12 > stops, complaining about that, gives me the option to get a shell, from
13 > which I am able to see that there is no /dev/sda* .
14 > > >
15 > > > I have included everything SATA, so it looks like that is not a
16 > kernel problem, but a initramfs issue, I guess.
17 > >
18 > > If you've got a SATA controller, no frills, then all you *really* need
19 > > is AHCI. Build that into your kernel if you're worried about having
20 > > the right modules in initramfs. You can break it out into a module
21 > > later if you like. Opinions differ as to how much stuff should be
22 > > broken into modules vs being built-in to the kernel. I tend to build
23 > > in everything absolutely needed for boot, myself. Some people build in
24 > > just about everything, and some people build in almost nothing.
25 > > There's no "right" way for every use case.
26 > >
27 > > Also, check your BIOS to see if it's running your SATA controller in
28 > > some kind of IDE emulation mode. If it is, disable that. (Some
29 > > motherboards let you choose between "IDE" and "RAID", where "RAID" is
30 > > AHCI mode. Others call IDE mode 'legacy', and still others might
31 > > actually call the AHCI mode 'AHCI')
32 > >
33 > > Motherboards running SATA controllers in IDE emulation mode is an
34 > > incredibly common thing:
35 > >
36 > > 17:18 beh
37 > > 17:18 hda1 turned into sda1
38 > > 17:19 IRule: Turn SCSI-generic support, or did you
39 > > switch from legacy to AHCI in your BIOS?
40 > > 17:20 shortcircuit: quiet, you
41 > >
42 > > --
43 > >
44 > > :wq
47 > Thanks, gonna try it.
48
49 > Francisco
50
51 Forgot to say: I am able to boot the LiveCD and chroot to that partition.
52
53 Now checking the kernel configuration, there's only SATA_ACARD_AHCI set up
54 as a module, everything else AHCI is included in the kernel.
55
56 Thanks anyway
57
58 Francisco