From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Irritating problem #2-- colordiff
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:45:17
1 Mariusz Pękala schreef:
2 > On 2006-01-07 15:53:39 +0100 (Sat, Jan), Holly Bostick wrote:
3 >
4 >> Here's the kind of output I get from etc-update, for example:
5 >
6 > [...]
7 >
8 >> ESC[1;34m+RC_VERBOSE="no"ESC[0;0m
9 >
10 > [...]
11 >
12 >> Clearly it's working, but.... not. This is in gnome-terminal, but
13 >> the term in use doesn't seem to make any difference, and this is
14 >> worse than nothing at all in terms of readablility (made even worse
15 >> since using colordiff is intended to /enhance/ readability).
16 >>
17 >> Colordiff is set in /etc/etc-update.conf as recommended in the
18 >> Wiki-- diff_command="colordiff -uN %file1 %file2", which seems to
19 >> be right insofar as colordiff is working; it seems to me that the
20 >> problem is that the term is not recognizing/escaping the color
21 >> codes as color codes, and I don't know where to begin to find out
22 >> why. I'm using the most recent colordiff available
23 >
24 > [...]
25 >
26 >> Does anybody have a clue what that might be?
29 > What do you see in your terminal if you type this: ? printf
30 > '\033[1;34m+RC_VERBOSE="no"\033[0;0m'
31 >
32 > If this is ok, then you know that your terminal is ok, and there is
33 > something with colordiff...
34
35 za 01/07/06 18:49
36 Saffron: "He's my husband."
37
38 Mal: "Well who in the damn galaxy isn't?"
39 ~
40 motub -> printf '\033[1;34m+RC_VERBOSE="no"\033[0;0m'
41 +RC_VERBOSE="no" <==this is blue
42
43 And in fact, normally my terminals do display color correctly; in my
44 prompt above, the date is pink, the fortune is white, the cwd is green,
45 and the actual prompt is yellow@white, then yellow again.
46 >
47 > Do you have any alias or function around colordiff?
48
49 No. I don't actually use colordiff standalone, so no reason. I did,
50 however, have an (unnecessary) alias around etc-update, which I have now
51 removed, allowing it to rely solely on its sudo entry. But since I don't
52 have any updates to diff until I get my other little problem fixed,
53
54 But... sudo uses a sub-shell, as I have heard many times. Is it possible
55 that colordiff just doesn't work *in sudo*?
56
57 I admit, I never thought of that. This is why sudo gets on my nerves,
58 convenient as it is; that stupid subshell seems to lack all kinds of
59 basic (bash) shell functionality that I expect.
60
61 Anyway, thanks for the ideas, I suspect that you've pointed me in the
62 right direction. I'm sure I should be able to generate some updates
63 shortly; I won't do all of them so that I can test various
64 configurations and see if any of them work.
65
66 Holly
67 --
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list