From: Fernando Canizo <conan@××××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: recompiling vim linked to libncursesw
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:07:31
1 El Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:04:29AM +0300, Moshe Kaminsky me decía:
2 > * Fernando Canizo <conan@××××××××××.ar> [27/07/05 07:15]:
3 > >
4 > > Hi all.
5 > >
6 > > I'm having trouble with my encoding using mutt + vim + utf-8,
7 > > basically mi emails are sent with wrong encoding when *replying*. I've
8 > > tracked the problem, searched, readed FAQs and i found that maybe my
9 > > problem is this: that while mutt is linked to libncursesw (wide
10 > > library) vim is to libncurses (normal), this is the output of ldd:
11 >
12 > I find it hard to believe that this is the problem. You say that you can
13 > use utf8 when you are composing (or writing some other stuff), right?
14 > What are the values of 'encoding' and 'fileencoding' in vim when
15 > replying?
16 > Moshe
17
18 Like i said to Richard, maybe you're right. I mean: i can write an
19 utf-8 file from scratch using vim alone, so why would not when
20 invoking vim from mutt? Maybe is that mutt is telling vim something
21 incorrect when they communicate.
22
23 Well, i'll give more information, but this gonna grow large ;)
24
25 Reading the mutt FAQ (http://wiki.mutt.org/index.cgi?MuttFaq/Charset)
26 and checking everything is ok:
27
28 locale seems to be ok:
29 ~$ locale
30 LANG=es_AR.utf-8
31 LC_CTYPE="es_AR.utf-8"
32 LC_NUMERIC="es_AR.utf-8"
33 LC_TIME="es_AR.utf-8"
34 LC_COLLATE="es_AR.utf-8"
35 LC_MONETARY="es_AR.utf-8"
36 LC_MESSAGES="es_AR.utf-8"
37 LC_PAPER="es_AR.utf-8"
38 LC_NAME="es_AR.utf-8"
39 LC_ADDRESS="es_AR.utf-8"
40 LC_TELEPHONE="es_AR.utf-8"
41 LC_MEASUREMENT="es_AR.utf-8"
42 LC_IDENTIFICATION="es_AR.utf-8"
43 LC_ALL=es_AR.utf-8
44
45 the locales settings are supported:
46 ~$ locale -a
47 C
48 es_AR
49 es_AR.utf8
50 POSIX
51
52 checking if the locales work with perl:
53 ~$ perl -e ""
54 ok doesn't show anything
55
56 checking if perl is doing the right things by setting an erroneous
57 locale:
58 ~$ env LC_ALL=nocharset perl -e ""
59 perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
60 perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
61 LANGUAGE = "es_AR.utf-8",
62 LC_ALL = "nocharset",
63 LC_CTYPE = "es_AR.utf-8",
64 LANG = "es_AR.utf-8"
65 are supported and installed on your system.
66 perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
67
68 ok, it cries, so it's working ok
69
70 my ~/.signature is in utf-8, my ~/.alias is too
71
72 i got this in my ~/.vimrc:
73 set encoding=utf-8
74 set fileencoding=utf-8
75 set termencoding=utf-8
76
77 and when mutt invokes vim i re-check that this is ok, and is ok (i
78 mean i check in runtime and it obbeys the configuration)
79
80 i got this in my ~/.muttrc:
81 set send_charset="us-ascii:utf-8"
82 set charset="utf-8"
83 set locale="es_AR.utf8"
84
85 from the mutt man i know this settings should not be necessary, since
86 the system is configured ok, but i try with and without and get no
87 difference.
88
89 Ok, that's all concerning configuration. Now i tell you how the
90 problem works: in mutt, if i compose a mail from scratch, without
91 anything, not even signature, and put a LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH
92 ACUTE (got that name from unicode chart), and then send it to myself,
93 and to a friend, my friend sees it ok and i too.
94
95 But if now i reply to this same mail, when vim comes with the quoted
96 text that mutt passes to it y see garbage.
97
98 So mutt is ok seeing and sending utf-8, vim is ok writing and reading
99 utf-8, but when both "cooperate", things get screwed.
100
101 I investigate what was in the archives, so i saved a copy (using 'C'
102 command from mutt) of the first message (the one i receive from me)
103 and file says: 'UTF-8 Unicode mail text', check what's inside with
104 hexedit and see that LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE is encoded with
105 this hex: C3 A1 (which is not 00 E1 from unicode chart from
106 http://www.unicode.org/charts/)
107
108 Then i got that same mail and press 'r' from mutt to respond, comes
109 vim with garbled text, and without touching anything i save it under
110 some other name, and then cancel message, file in this saved text
111 gives me: 'UTF-8 Unicode text', but when i see inside with hexedit, i
112 got this hex for the same letter: C3 83 C2 A1, so now i have 4 bytes
113 instead of the too before. So vim-mutt (?) is re-encoding the stuff.
114
115 Like i said before, checking in vim when called from mutt for enc, and
116 fenc gives utf-8 like it should.
117
118 I create a file with vim to check this differences with the unicode
119 chart and i got C3 A1 too, so maybe the problem is with vim, it should
120 put 00 E1 for LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE.
121
122 Well, that's all i remember to have done for this problem. I'm with
123 this for 4 months now, i think, i took the problem, get tired of
124 searching and testing stuff, leave for a month, get to charge again,
125 and so on. But now i really want to solve it.
126
127 I think i'm going to crosspost this to vim and mutt mailing lists. But
128 if someone here knows how to solve this, i appreciate any help, tip,
129 direction to look or search, or maybe praying would do the job.
130
131 Linking after build vim to libncursesw the way Richard say a couple of
132 mails before didn't solve it. If there is a way to say to emerge that
133 link vim to this library from the beginning i would like to try it.
134
135 Besides if anyone knows how to get which programs are using a library
136 (i have done it before, but at this time my brain is screwed).
137
138 What i didn't tried yet is 'the redmond way', i want to stay away from
139 that metod, if possible.
140
141 Thanks in advance.
144 Fernando Canizo - LUGMen: www.lugmen.org.ar - A8N: a8n.lugmen.org.ar
145 Antonym, n.:
146 The opposite of the word you're trying to think of.
147 --
148 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list