From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package conflict while trying to emerge chromium
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 08:09:34
1 Am Tue, 17 Feb 2015 21:43:22 -0500
2 schrieb "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:09:43PM +0100, Marc Joliet wrote
5 > > Am Tue, 17 Feb 2015 12:09:23 +0000
6 > > schrieb Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>:
7 > >
8 > > >
9 > > > On Sat, 14 February 2015, at 10:36 am, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
10 > > >
11 > > > > Personally, I don't like that way of doing things, because unless you
12 > > > > you completely deactivate Flash, Youtube will stupidly never attempt
13 > > > > to use HTML5 videos
14 > > >
15 > > > YouTube have recently switched to HTML5 as the default:
16 > > >
17 > > > http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/7926001/youtube-drops-flash-for-html5-video-default
18 > >
19 > > Excellent :-) !
20 > >
21 > > One minor(!) problem though: that does not include the current
22 > > Firefox 35 (they say they enabled HTML5 video for Firefox *betas*).
23 > > But starting with Firefox 36 I'll try running without FlashDisable
24 > > and see what it's like.
25 >
26 > I'm running the Seamonkey-2.32 variant of Firefox, and Seamonkey is
27 > nowhere near Firefox beta. It seems to work on Youtube in HTML5. A few
28 > oddities, which may or may not be specific to Seamonkey...
29 >
30 > - It has only 2 resolutions... 360p... and "auto"... which gives 360p<G>.
31 > This is the case even for "1080p demo" videos. Mind you, the video
32 > quality looks (to me at least) a lot better than 360p on Flash looks.
33
34 Hmm, that's certainly an oddity. What about this video:
35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHO389dvj6Y. I get the choice between 360p and
36 720p.
37
38 > - There are 2 player sizes. "Default" is the standard size that you're
39 > used to in the upper left corner of the screen. "Theater Mode" expands
40 > to the full width of the browser. The vertical size scales to the
41 > proper height for the aspect ratio. However, it's not true fullscreen
42 > because you still see the browser frame/bars/etc, even if the browser
43 > is maximized. On some other HTML5 video demos, you can right click,
44 > and get a menu which includes a "Fullscreen" item that gives true
45 > fullscreen. But this does not appear on Youtube.
46
47 I do get the fullscreen option, it appears right next to the "theater" mode
48 button.
49
50 > - Last, but not least, the cpu load is a lot lower when playing HTML5
51 > video than Flash video. This is important to me, because I'm trying
52 > to run my 7 and 1/2 year old Dell (Intel Core Duo) into the ground.
53 > It refuses to die.
54
55 My Desktop is similarly old (Athlon64 X2 EE), but a couple of upgrades have kept
56 it mostly pleasant to use, although one can "compensate" an old CPU only so
57 much. As far as I remember the only things that have died so far are HDDs and
58 PSUs (oh, and the original GPU!).
59
60 > I have multiple Seamonkey profiles, dedicated to specific tasks (You
61 > can do this with Firefox, too). It's ironic that the first profile on
62 > which I can turn off Flash is my "youtube" profile. I still need Flash
63 > for NHL GameCentreLive, internet radio, etc. Your version of Firefox
64 > might HTML5 video now. Try it.
65
66 It's not that it doesn't do HTML5 video, I've been using that ever since I
67 noticed the "gstreamer" USE flag in December 2012 (/etc in git is nice ;)).
68 It's just that I can't deactivate FlashDisable and expect YouTube to default to
69 HTML5 videos yet (see the top of the quoted text above).
70
71 FWIW, I *did* try it and still got the undesired behaviour (Youtube trying to
72 use Flash).
73
74 Hmm, maybe you're logged in to Youtube? Or maybe I didn't wait long enough
75 after the "please activate your Flash plug-in" message? Or maybe they treat
76 Seamonkey differently (but why?)? I suppose I'll try again later.
79 Marc Joliet
80 --
81 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
82 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup