From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --depclean wants to remove required packages
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:27:54
1 On 2/27/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > [ snip lots of useful bacground info]
5 >
6 > > > 2. If you never had gnome installed but did have evo installed,
7 > > > then removed evo, everything looks proper.
8 > > >
9 > > > So, let --depclean do it's thing. Then emerge -uND world and run
10 > > > revder-rebuild to fix anything that remains.
11 > >
12 > > Based on my response above should I be doing this? From the info I
13 > > posted earlier if I emerge -C jasper, as --depclean wants to do, then
14 > > it seems it will just be emerged again at emerge -DuN world.
15 > >
16 > > I'm happy to do it if it's the right thing to do. I'm just not
17 > > understanding why it should fix things.
18 >
19 > You have 15 packages that appear to be problematic, which leaves you
20 > with two realistic options:
21 >
22 > 1. Spend ages tracing each dep down and seeing what gives, or
23 > 2. Just run emerge --depclean followed by revdep-rebuild and emerge -uND
24 > world anyway. Sure, it will take some extra compile time, but it will
25 > also filter out the packages that you actually don't have to worry
26 > about.
27 >
28 > I'd recommend #2, which will hopefully leave us with a much smaller list
29 > of packages to investigate.
30 >
31 > alan
35 Hi Alan,
36 OK, I preceded to let emerge --depclean do it's job and then ran
37 revdep-rebuild. It said only samba needed to be rebuilt. When that was
38 complete everything seems clean and happy. No more deps to clean out,
39 emerge -DuN world has no work to do and revdep-rebuiild says
40 everything is cool.
41
42 Thanks to you and Bo for your help so far.
43
44 Now on to solving why Evolution is crashing. Hopefully I can get a
45 good backtrace.
46
47 Thanks,
48 Mark