From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge of ksh93 erroring out.. who can interpret
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:58:50
1 "Matthias B." <msbREMOVE-THIS@××××××××××××.de> writes:
2
3 > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:18:44 -0600 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 >> Can you say why you think zsh is better?
6 >
7 > The bugs. I've hit lots of bash bugs in the past and every version seems
8 > to fix some bugs and introduce new ones. I'm tired of adding new
9 > workarounds to my scripts whenever I update bash.
10
11 I hope this doesn't come off as just being picky but my perspective is
12 that of someone who is about to switch from using ksh93 as main
13 scripting shell to bash.
14
15 So I'm interested in what I might run into. So far it looks like it
16 would be ALMOST as easy as symlinking ksh to bash in /bin.
17
18 The two big things I see that will cause that not to work are lots of
19 calls to `print' and that bash does not understand the easy way you
20 can create an array in ksh:
21 `set -A array somecmd'
22 creating an array of the output of somecmd.
23
24 So the print calls and array creation would cause failure in nearly
25 all my scripts.
26
27 Someone on comp.unix.shell pointed out I could create a
28 `print() { echo -e "$@" }'
29 function in bash and add that to my old ksh scripts. So that would
30 cover the print calls in most cases but still pondering the array
31 part.
32
33 I don't have so many with array calls but enough that it would be some
34 work to fix.
35
36 But back to your comments. "The bugs. [...]"
37
38 Can you cite some actual examples of what you are talking about, with
39 enough detail so I can see what you mean? Maybe include one or two of
40 the workarounds you are tired of dealing with?
43 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list