From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 10:30:31
1 On Friday, 11 November 2022 06:25:27 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I been stuck on gentoo-sources 5.14.15 for a while. I tried upgrading
5 > to I think 5.16 and then more recently 5.18. I upgraded like I always
6 > do, copy .config over and run make oldconfig. Once I get everything in
7 > /boot, init thingy and all, I update grub. When I get around to
8 > rebooting, the new kernels always fail part way through booting. I
9 > can't recall the error since I last tried a newer kernel several months
10 > ago.
11 >
12 > I'm about to try to jump to version 6.0.5 which is latest in the tree.
13 > Is there some major change that causes copying .config file from 5.14 to
14 > 5.18 or higher to break? Do I need to configure a new kernel from
15 > scratch in other words? While I try to answer each question the best I
16 > can, either I'm breaking something or something else breaks preventing
17 > updating from older versions. I just don't know which it is. Me or it.
18
19 The evidence seems to point in one direction. :)
20
21 One box here runs ~amd64, whose kernel has just now been upgraded to 6.0.8.
22 I'll boot it in a few minutes, but I'm not expecting problems: it's been
23 through the whole 6 series so far with no difficulty - even for me!
24
25 I can't remember any difficulty going from the 5 series to 6.0.0 either, even
26 though it was a .0 version, which we all know is generally to be suspected.
29 Regards,
30 Peter.