From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SR-IOV for RAID/HBA's? anyone tried it?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 04:24:47
1 On July 2, 2017 7:36:02 PM GMT+02:00, "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
2 >On 07/02/2017 02:51 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >> On July 1, 2017 11:23:06 PM GMT+02:00, "Taiidan@×××.com"
5 ><Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
6 >>> I am wondering if anyone has tried this, apparently several LSI
7 >>> controllers support portioning out drives to VF's so the guest sees
8 >a
9 >>> controller with those drives attached to it.
10 >>>
11 >>> What was your experience like? and what controllers did you use?
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >>> - Thanks
15 >> I am wondering when I would want this?
16 >So you only need one HBA/RAID card per system if you want more than one
17 >
18 >VM with quality performance.
19 >It'll always be faster than an emulated disk.
20
21 Never noticed any performance issues. Using Xen and raw disk format to the VMs.
22
23 >> Either the VM needs a fraction of a single disk. Or it needs multiple
24 >disks.
25 >>
26 >> For the latter case, I prefer to pass an entire HBA.
27 >Which one do you have and does yours support FLR?
28
29 Using a Supermicro card based on a LSI3008 chipset and dual expander backplane.
30 I can always add a second HBA of I need more bandwidth.
31
32 What is FLR? Googling that gives me a lot of non IT related results.
35 Joost
39 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.