From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iproute2 reference
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:38:16
1 On 06/10/2018 07:15 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3
4 Hi,
5
6 > I'm trying to learn how to use the "ip" command to manage routing on
7 > one of my boxes, which has two Ethernet interfaces.
8
9 Cool. There's a LOT that you can do.
10
11 I will say that you'll likely need other systems [1] to test things like
12 tunnels to / between.
13
14 There's a LOT that you can do with ip & ilk. Fair warning, you're
15 getting close to "tc". ;-)
16
17 > Can anyone recommend suitable reading material? I don't mind paying for
18 > a book, provided that it's reasonably up to date and won't bury me in a
19 > morass of bit patterns, OSI transport layers and so on. Just the stuff
20 > that a network admin would need.
21
22 I don't know of anything that focuses on the "ip" command in particular.
23 But I always found the old Linux Networking HOWTO (NET3-4-HOWTO) to be
24 a good place to start for networking concepts. Then you can fairly
25 easily map them to the "ip" command.
26
27 The "ip" command can also get into things like bridging which can be fun.
28
29 Proxy ARP is directly related, but I think outside the scope of the "ip"
30 command.
31
32 If you thing you're going to be messing with a lot of this and have
33 questions I'd recommend that you join the Linux Advanced Routing and
34 Traffic Control (LARTC) mailing list. It's not as active as it was a
35 decade ago, but there are a few of us regularly answering questions there.
36
37 If you care about IPv6 (IMHO you should at least familiarize yourself
38 with it) I'd suggest going through the free training that Hurricane
39 Electric offers. You can also get a free tunnel from them to be able to
40 play with IPv6. You'll likely end up using the "ip" command to
41 establish said tunnel. ;-)
42
43 > TiA.
44
45 You're welcome.
46
47 Feel free to drop me an email if you have questions.
52 Grant. . . .
53 unix || die