From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iproute2 reference
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:57:48
1 It helps if I actually add the foot note.
2
3 On 06/10/2018 10:38 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
4 > I will say that you'll likely need other systems [1] to test things like
5 > tunnels to / between.
6
7 [1] You can easily have one machine be multiple systems via Network
8 Namespaces.
9
10 I routinely use Network Namespaces to mess with networking in my
11 virtualization lab. Think of Network Namespaces as micro TCP/IP stacks
12 in the Linux kernel. Each can be configured completely independent of
13 the others.
14
15 I was using Network Namespaces about 12 hours ago to test what I
16 determined was a bug in VirtualBox. (KVM didn't exhibit the same behavior.)
17
18 I used the "ip" command to create a pair of vEth (virtual Ethernet) links:
19
20 ip link add veth0 type veth peer name veth1
21 ip link add veth2 type veth peer name veth3
22
23 I then created a new Network Namespace:
24
25 ip netns add myNetNS
26
27 Then I moved two of the vEth interfaces to the vEth links into myNetNS.
28
29 ip link set veth1 netns myNetNS
30 ip link set veth3 netns myNetNS
31
32 Then I brought all the interfaces up:
33
34 ip link set veth0 up
35 ip link set veth2 up
36 ip netns exec myNetNS ip link set veth1 up
37 ip netns exec myNetNS ip link set veth3 up
38
39 Then I bound IPs to three of the vEth interfaces:
40
41 ip addr add 192.0.2.1/24 dev veth0
42 ip netns exec myNetNS ip addr add 192.0.2.254/24 dev veth1
43 ip netns exec myNetNS ip addr add 198.51.100.254/24 dev veth3
44
45 Then I added a route to my workstation (main / default / nameless NetNS)
46 to point to the remote 198.51.100.0/24 network:
47
48 ip route add 198.51.100.0/24 via 192.0.2.254
49
50 That gave me what I needed to continue troubleshooting my VirtualBox
51 issue. I was able to have both VBox and KVM glom onto the veth2
52 interface and put the guest at 198.51.100.1/24 IP address using
53 198.51.100.254 as it's default gateway.
54
55 This meant that I had a micro routed connection from my workstation
56 (main / default / nameless NetNS) to the VM that I was testing.
57
58 I do things like this weekly. Almost all of the configuration uses the
59 "ip" command. IMHO the biggest issue is that you have to understand
60 what you want to do and then translate it to the proper ip commands to
61 do it. You need that high level blueprint (if you will) so that you can
62 then implement it with the "ip" command. This is why you need at least
63 a basic understanding of networking to fully take advantage of the "ip"
64 command.
69 Grant. . . .
70 unix || die