From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I shoot into my own feet: dhcpd installed...
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:40:53
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-11-22 11:18]:
3 >> meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> (still struggling with my Arietta board...;)
7 >>>
8 >>> I did something really stupid:
9 >>> I emerged dhcpd on my Arietta G25 board (which runs Gentoo of course :)
10 >>> and rebooted...without configuring it (or anything else).
11 >>>
12 >>> BEFORE this [CENSORED] action /etc/conf.d/net was set to assign a
13 >>> static IP to usb0, which works.
14 >>>
15 >>> Now the boards still boots fine ... but I cannot access it, because
16 >>> the usb0 gets no IP.
17 >>>
18 >>> First thing I want to get back is the static IP settings I had
19 >>> before I installed dhcpd.
20 >>>
21 >>> I grepped through /etc to find any hint, where the decision is made
22 >>> to start dhcpd, I renamed different 'dhcpd*.*'-files to disable
23 >>> the start of dhcpd...but now I only get 'lo' running...no usb0
24 >>> at all.
25 >>>
26 >>> Where can I disable dhcpd so the static IP settings get reactivated
27 >>> (since the system is not accessable, I cannot unemerge dhcpd)?
28 >>>
29 >>> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
30 >>>
31 >>> Best regards,
32 >>> mcc
33 >>>
34 >> Take a peek in this directory:
35 >>
36 >> /etc/runlevels/default/
37 >>
38 >> I think if you remove that link it will not start the service. In other
39 >> words, if you have dhcpd in there, or one of the other runlevels, remove
40 >> it.
41 >>
42 >> Of course, there is the chance that if it is installed, some other
43 >> script may use it even if it isn't started.
44 >>
45 >> Hope that helps.
46 >>
47 >> Dale
48 >>
49 >> :-) :-)
50 >>
51 > Hi Dale,
52 >
53 > that was also my the first idea...
54 >
55 > (in the meanwhile I found it.)
56 >
57 > But the thing is more of magic...its automagic!
58 >
59 > One has to do enter this
60 >
61 > rc_hotplug="!dhcpd"
62 >
63 > into /etc/rc.conf. The "!" stands for "not".
64 >
65 > If one would ask me, I also would prefer the ordinary straight
66 > forward way of starting it as any other daemon via the way
67 > you have described. But I am sure that they are higher and
68 > more elaborated thoughts of wisdom which explain, why it is
69 > done the way it is done... ;)
70 >
71 > Only my two cents of money...
72 >
73 > Best regards,
74 > mcc
78 Oh yea. I forgot about that one. I had to use that MANY years ago.
79 Well, glad you found the proper solution. I knew there had to be a
80 way. ;-)
81
82 Dale
83