From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I shoot into my own feet: dhcpd installed...
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:58:36
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-11-22 11:18]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > (still struggling with my Arietta board...;)
6 > >
7 > > I did something really stupid:
8 > > I emerged dhcpd on my Arietta G25 board (which runs Gentoo of course :)
9 > > and rebooted...without configuring it (or anything else).
10 > >
11 > > BEFORE this [CENSORED] action /etc/conf.d/net was set to assign a
12 > > static IP to usb0, which works.
13 > >
14 > > Now the boards still boots fine ... but I cannot access it, because
15 > > the usb0 gets no IP.
16 > >
17 > > First thing I want to get back is the static IP settings I had
18 > > before I installed dhcpd.
19 > >
20 > > I grepped through /etc to find any hint, where the decision is made
21 > > to start dhcpd, I renamed different 'dhcpd*.*'-files to disable
22 > > the start of dhcpd...but now I only get 'lo' running...no usb0
23 > > at all.
24 > >
25 > > Where can I disable dhcpd so the static IP settings get reactivated
26 > > (since the system is not accessable, I cannot unemerge dhcpd)?
27 > >
28 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
29 > >
30 > > Best regards,
31 > > mcc
34 > Take a peek in this directory:
35 >
36 > /etc/runlevels/default/
37 >
38 > I think if you remove that link it will not start the service. In other
39 > words, if you have dhcpd in there, or one of the other runlevels, remove
40 > it.
41 >
42 > Of course, there is the chance that if it is installed, some other
43 > script may use it even if it isn't started.
44 >
45 > Hope that helps.
46 >
47 > Dale
48 >
49 > :-) :-)
52 Hi Dale,
53
54 that was also my the first idea...
55
56 (in the meanwhile I found it.)
57
58 But the thing is more of magic...its automagic!
59
60 One has to do enter this
61
62 rc_hotplug="!dhcpd"
63
64 into /etc/rc.conf. The "!" stands for "not".
65
66 If one would ask me, I also would prefer the ordinary straight
67 forward way of starting it as any other daemon via the way
68 you have described. But I am sure that they are higher and
69 more elaborated thoughts of wisdom which explain, why it is
70 done the way it is done... ;)
71
72 Only my two cents of money...
73