From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to hide a network interface from an application
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 02:07:00
1 On 2020-08-15, Sid Spry <sid@××××.us> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 14, 2020, at 5:06 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> [...]
4 >>
5 >> > iptables -A OUTPUT -o <interface> -m owner --uid-owner plex -j DROP
6 >>
7 >> I can confirm, that did indeed work as desired.
8 >>
9 >> Even with the kernel rebuild it was far less work than getting set up
10 >> to run a docker container (which also would have required a kernel
11 >> rebuild) or running the server in a separate network namespace.
12 >>
13 >> [...]
14 >
15 > Are you able to see any perf impact from the generated but dropped
16 > packets?
17
18 I haven't tried, but I it's detectable. Plex only sends out a handful
19 of packets every 5-10 seconds. It wouldn't really matter except that
20 the interface I want it to leave alone is attached to an internal
21 network I use to develop/test IoT and industrial Ethernet devices, and
22 I want to be able to run tests that are as predictable and repeatable
23 as possible.
24
25 It would probably be better to run Plex on a separate, small, silent,
26 low-power, headless server but I've already got enough machines to
27 maintain.
30 Grant